Thursday, January 11, 2007

Search and Research #38



Ok, this was an experiment. I wanted this basement scene to be gloomy and dingy, and at the same time, I wanted to be able to show the clutter and boxes and stuff. I'm not so good at doing heavy shadows with lines, so I decided to try to put in gray tones with an ink wash. Once I'd started though, I realized that this was the wrong kind of paper for an ink wash! So, I did the best I could with it. The wavy look of the image is a result of the paper wrinkling because of the water on it. Anyway, enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel SCOM's pain. I work in our university's archives and I wish it was as organized as that one. We're still in the "Why is this in archives?" phase.

Eli Moody said...

Yes, after looking at this one scanned, I started thinking of all the things I could have added to make it look messier...cobwebs all over, random rolled up paper...all sorts of stuff. It looks a lot cleaner than I had wanted it to be!

Anonymous said...

I've been doing that kind of thing at my library too. Our basement area does seem like a dungeon sometimes because of all the dust and spider webs. Although, nothing is so neat to have been placed in boxes for us the way that you have stuff here. Just big piles of books and God knows what else lying around. I can very easily sympathize here.
-Angie