Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sidelined

So, last Tuesday I'm about to start my shift at the service desk when my back starts to hurt. I take some advil and start my shift, but the next time I have to get out of my chair, there are shooting pains through my lower back. I go home early, and basically didn't get out of bed for the rest of the week 'cause it hurt too bad to sit or walk.

I discovered during that time that few things turn off those creative juices more than being in pain. It seems, at least for me, that artistic creativity is sustained by periods of time where I can concentrate and focus on work, uninterrupted. On a good day I will be able to work on a piece and forget about the passage of time, coming out of my 'zone' once the piece is complete. I'd never really taken the time to think about my creative process like this before, so there was some positive gain from this time out of the game. It does mean, however, that I'm not positive if I'll be able to post the next strip this week. I'm able to sit in a chair with less pain now, which is a big improvement, but I also have to go to work, which means that when I get home, I've been sitting for 9+ hours without a break and I usually need to go lie down to give my back a rest. So, we'll see.

I just wanted to give everyone an update, I hope you are all well. Later!

eli

4 comments:

WildCard said...

We totally understand about this!! Thank you for letting us know what is going on. Concentrate on getting better, and keeping the job (something has to pay for the library services you give us).

Anonymous said...

I hope you get better soon. And don't worry about the down time. Bill Barnes of Unshelved (which is how I came to read your comic) had quite a bit of back trouble not too long ago, so I'm used to delay in comics for health reasons. I think any webcomic reader will understand when reality bites an author in the butt and instant comics are not available.
-Angie

Eli Moody said...

Thanks very much, I'm doing better now, caught up at work, and have some ideas for future strips, so things are back to good. :0)

Eve Proper said...

I am glad you are feeling better!